[teknoids] Exams and e-books

Kristin McCarthy KMcCarthy at nesl.edu
Mon Nov 22 12:31:39 EST 2021

Hi all -

Has anyone been facing challenges with e-books for open book exams?  Any good solutions?  We are generally using ExamSoft, and for those classes with e-books, we are using the semi-secure mode i.e. students can't access the internet but can have the e-book as a pdf on their desktop.  I have heard that annotations don't accompany the download for some vendors (in some classes permission has been given to make notes in margins), and worry about proctoring in semi-secure mode (because students could have a variety of files on their desktop).

In some ways, this may be more a policy question than a tech question!  But as e-books are becoming more ubiquitous, I'm curious if anyone has some creative ways of approaching this.

Kristin McCarthy

Director of the Law Library and Assistant Professor of Law

Interim Director of Instructional Technology

NEW ENGLAND LAW | BOSTON

154 Stuart Street, Boston, MA 02116
T 617.422.7418

F 617.422.7303