[teknoids] If you lead a horse to water ... if you build, they will ... How do encourage adoption ?

Patrick Wiseman pwiseman at gsu.edu
Fri Nov 12 00:16:49 EST 2021

Perhaps I misunderstood John's original question, but I thought he was
asking about faculty, not student, adoption.

I have a little to say about both. I guess it depends on what you're asking
students to adopt, but when I went all online in my con law courses years
ago, they just accepted it. No doubt the fact that I was providing free
cases had something to do with that, but there was zero resistance. From
the mid-'90's I had course websites that students navigated without
difficulty. In my experience, students are highly adaptive to technology
that serves them well, but faculty should not presume to know what
technology does that.

As to faculty. Well, I developed, in the mid-'90's, a content-management
system that delivered course websites, syllabi, online forums, and more.
(It is still serving my personal recipe collection!) I demonstrated it to
them several times (and I had a "rogue" server on which I could offer it to
them - remember "rogue" servers, before paranoid central IT took over?). I
think maybe 2 faculty used my system, but only for the forum function. For
several years, from '95-'99, I would present demos of what teachers could
do with the technology. There would be "interest" but no adoption; and
then, months later, someone would ask, "can I do X?", X being something I'd
demonstrated months before. I finally gave up; I was the only adopter of my
own (rather good) content-management software in the end. It delivered my
course websites until I retired in 2019.

Then the big guys - West, Lexis, et al. - caught on, and provided ....

Patrick Wiseman
Professor of Law Emeritus
GSU College of Law
Please direct personal email to pwiseman at gmail.com