[teknoids] [Ext] Re: Student Attorney Self Assessment Tools

Barney, Emily ebarney at kentlaw.iit.edu
Thu Jun 10 09:00:00 EDT 2021

We have Procertas at Chicago-Kent as well, paid for by the library. We have
been marketing it to our students as a useful tool both for legal writing
assignments (they have nice short videos & self-testing sample documents
that align with the individual skills / tools they show) and mentioning how
it can be used while they're in practice, to show they're investing in
their practical skills, etc.

We've been in talks with IT about how to make sure staff are aware that it
can be helpful to them too, with so many specific features in Word / Excel
/ Powerpoint / PDFs covered in short videos & straightforward
self-assessment instructions, sample documents, and results. I really like
that it's made by lawyers for lawyers so the sample documents show the
kinds of things that do occur in the real world. Plus you get specific
track changes comments that show if you missed a step and how in the Word
docs, if you skip one element of the self-testing routine.

Users can select whether they're PC or Mac users and which versions of the
software (using recent options) they're using to be sure the videos match
their setup. They can also switch to a different configuration if they use
one type at home and another at work, for example.

Procertas recently added new admin features like custom modules to combine
sets of lessons. That works ork nicely on the user side but the back end
(in my experience - as of March, I haven't revisited since then) could use
a few more features to streamline the admin management of the new features.
Working with their staff was great, though, and I'm happy with their level
of support.

We haven't had faculty specifically assign the Procertas lessons for grades
at this point, but there are features built in where you can tie users to a
professor to give them access to the self-assessment outcomes, if needed.
We're marketing it as a "test yourself to be sure you know it's working"
feature at this point.

Emily Barney
Digital Education & Internal Resources Librarian
Chicago-Kent Law Library
email: ebarney at kentlaw.iit.edu
library website: https://www.kentlaw.iit.edu/library