[teknoids] Finally Friday!

Phillip C. Bohl phillip.bohl at pepperdine.edu
Fri Mar 27 14:48:02 EDT 2020

We were fortunate.  We were just starting our spring break when it was
decided that we were going online.

We had already begun preparing for online but hadn't yet engaged the
Faculty. Over the spring break we were able to get all but one or two folks
in the saddle before classes started on 3/16/2020.

We are now finishing up our second week of online classes for the on-ground
programs.  It's gone pretty well all things considered.

As the tech crew we are permitted to work in our on-campus offices but we
typically only have one or two of our team on site.  Several faculty show
up to teach from their offices (many live on campus). I was on site most of
this week and it was different but like many of you folks, we have all too
much experience working in our facilities when no one is around -- so not
spooky but definitely empty.  Today I'm working from home, also not a
strange thing but it is pretty isolating as a long term solution.

My kids are remote schooling -- one is fine and the other one is really
struggling. My wife has been home with a bad cold (not the COVID-19 thank
God - test was negative) and has been doing some work from home but really
struggled with getting her VPN credentials - seems the end user support
team was not completely in tune with the actual tech guys... it was a real
struggle but she finally got online a couple days ago and is very relieved.

Been doing a lot of Zooms both for work and church, walks with my teenage
son at dusk, a few dashes to the grocery store and Costco.  Such a strange
time.

I feel like we're all dealing with this in different ways... but there's an
opportunity here to really appreciate our family, friends and colleagues.

I have been amazed and truly blessed by the folks we've been working with
who have been so kind, so gracious and even when I give bad advice in my
ignorance of some technical detail that I have yet to learn, that gracious
kindness remains.

Wishing you all safety and health.

Phil

[image: Pepperdine Caruso School of Law 50th Anniversary logo]
*Phillip Bohl*
Assistant Dean
Information Services
Caruso School of Law