[teknoids] Seeking recommendations: student success / student advising software

Chapman, Ben ben.chapman at emory.edu
Fri Oct 26 17:38:10 EDT 2018

Ben,

Thanks for this very detailed response! We are a PeopleSoft shop, unfortunately.

Very best wishes,

Ben

--
Ben Chapman, JD
Assistant Dean, Information Technology

From: Teknoids <teknoids-bounces at lists.teknoids.net> on behalf of Ben Burhans <bburhans at vermontlaw.edu>
Date: Friday, October 26, 2018 at 1:05 PM
To: Teknoids <teknoids at lists.teknoids.net>
Subject: Re: [teknoids] Seeking recommendations: student success / student advising software

The Jenzabar EX SIS/ERP has this feature (“advisor meetings” with notes) built in to its “advising” module, complete with a mediocre but probably functional student-facing web UI in the campus portal software.

I am not sure whether we have an institutional policy whether or how to use it, and I get the impression that it is not used by most faculty and staff advisors. I don’t believe we have the student interface enabled, either, and I’m not sure if it allows students to schedule future meetings in addition to reviewing past meetings; generally, we want scheduling of appointments and events done by our more authoritative calendaring system instead. Faculty, in particular, would have an extreme dislike for more than one system to check their daily and monthly schedule. However, we do expect that certain types of 1-on-1 student discussions are recorded in the same SIS as part of their academic record.

As I have not worked with advisor meetings much, I cannot properly recommend or critique the implementation.

-- Ben