[teknoids] course evaluation methods

Courtney L. Selby Courtney.L.Selby at hofstra.edu
Wed Jul 11 16:23:18 EDT 2018

Dear All-
We're re-thinking the way we do course evaluations.  I'd love to hear from anyone who:

  1.  Is responsible for handling the data collection and number crunching for course evaluations, AND
  2.  Is generally pleased with the process they have in place.

Here's the background.
We've been using scantrons and hand-written comments for about a decade, and IT is charged with turning scantron answers into Excel files, crunching them through complex Access tables, and spitting out individual evaluations as well as comparative analysis as to where each individual faculty member's evals compare to the highest, lowest, and median eval responses...complete with standard deviations.

We'd like to move from scantrons and handwritten comments to having students fill out evaluations digitally.  Due to concerns about the response rate, students will be required to fill out the evaluations during their last class period.  We're hoping this will help us maintain the response rate we've had with the pencil/paper evaluations.

Please let me know if you have success stories to share!
(*Note - I'm not collecting horror stories at this time because we have several of our own. A girl can only stand so many horror stories.)
Many thanks, as always.
Courtney

Courtney Selby, JD, MLIS | Associate Dean for Information Services, Director of the Law Library and Professor of Law | Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University Law Library
122 Hofstra University | Hempstead, NY 11549 | 516-463-5901 | lawcls at hofstra.edu<mailto:lawcls at hofstra.edu>

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
- William Bruce Cameron
[logo]