[teknoids] clinic student/faculty communications and confidential info.

Courtney L. Selby Courtney.L.Selby at hofstra.edu
Fri Nov 17 14:37:15 EST 2017

Noids,
Our students retain their Hofstra email accounts, and access to the messages sent and received during law school, indefinitely following graduation.  These student accounts are hosted by Google. Because clinic students communicate with the faculty regarding confidential matters related to clinic cases, we have some concerns about using student email accounts for clinic matters.  We have requested that our clinic students receive university employee accounts to be used only for communications for the clinic.  Unfortunately, under university policy we can't assign our clinical students employee email accounts (though we are still attempting to negotiate an exception).

Have any of you explored conducting faculty/student communications about clinical matters without the use of university student email?  We use Time Matters in the clinic, but I am not sure that the platform provides for one-on-one discussion between a faculty member and a student in a way that could satisfactorily replace email.

Thoughts?  Solutions?
Happy Friday!
Courtney
Courtney Selby, JD, MLIS | Associate Dean for Information Services, Director of the Law Library and Professor of Law | Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University Law Library
122 Hofstra University | Hempstead, NY 11549 | 516-463-5901 | lawcls at hofstra.edu<mailto:lawcls at hofstra.edu>

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
- William Bruce Cameron
[logo]