[teknoids] LSAC Aces2 API

Ben Burhans bburhans at vermontlaw.edu
Wed Jun 14 18:42:39 EDT 2017

I will not be at CALIcon this year, sorry. I have been replying in private to those who showed interest, because several of them asked off-list. Here's the gist:

The project has been made available at https://github.com/bburhans/aces. It is free and open source (including for commercial use) under the ISC<https://choosealicense.com/licenses/isc/> license, which is just the MIT license with fewer words. It is not endorsed by, supported by, or affiliated with the Law School Admission Council.

Some documentation is available at https://github.com/bburhans/aces/blob/master/README.md. If you have node and git installed, the easiest way to get it up and running is simply:

git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/bburhans/aces.git
cd aces
npm install
# copy and edit the config file using your favorite editor
npm start

I'm currently running it in production on a Windows Server virtual machine, and I expect that it is completely cross-platform with no OS-specific dependencies, but I have not tested it on other platforms yet. Please let me know if there are issues on any modern system.

My institution currently only uses the XML output, but there are 5 other formats that the API supposedly offers; if you want me to try out more and set the headers accordingly, let me know and I'll play with it.

Because this software is designed to handle sensitive school and student information, please report any security concerns privately to benburhans at gmail.com<mailto:benburhans at gmail.com>. I have already had to demonstrate responsible disclosure to the good people at the Law School Admission Council regarding their old API, but have not explored the "enhanced" API completely.

Feedback and suggestions welcome. Until I published it a few weeks ago, I hadn't touched this since I wrote it, and it definitely has room for improvement!

Best,

Ben Burhans