[teknoids] Exam generator app

Marian Dent mdent at pericles.ru
Mon Sep 19 11:03:52 EDT 2016

Dear Chad,

The Moodle quiz function can do that.  And you can now get Moodle cloud hosting for free if your law school doesn’t use Moodle.

But it’s not as user friendly as TWEN and not quite as simple as just uploading a database.  You have to put the questions in either one at a time or I think you can upload a batch of question in SCORM format, but I haven’t tried that.

I use it all the time in classes to do exactly what I think you are suggesting.  You have the option of showing them whether the answer was right or wrong at the end of each question or at the end of each full quiz, and of showing them the explanation after each question, at the end, or not at all.

When you have your questions created, you simply create a quiz and you can insert randomly generated questions from among the ones you created.  Students can take it as often as you allow, within the time period you allow, and they will keep getting different questions until Moodle runs out of questions they haven’t tried, at which point it starts to repeat.

You can’t exactly get students to generate their own quizzes, but having the randomizing ones open does practically the same thing.  And if you want to divide them by topics, you simply create your questions in different folders, and then create separate quizzes, having Moodle pick ones randomly from the particular folder.

Marian