[teknoids] Student org scheduling and file sharing

Edmunds, Doug edmunds at unc.edu
Tue Oct 25 16:37:42 EDT 2016

Hey Cyndi,

IMHO…there is no solution for the problem of too many noontime events and students complaining about never knowing what’s happening. Every law school has this problem because almost every one of us has more student groups than we can count, limited hours during which they can hold their events/meetings, and finite space. We have a robust internal (custom developed) calendaring system that feeds into a daily “Today at Carolina Law” email, and we publish the day’s events throughout the building on digital signage. Students can book rooms based on availaibility and approval by student services staff, and they do, in droves. But after 10 years of working here, students still tell me the best way to get people to attend events is to do three things:

1)       write the details on the edges of the whiteboards in all classrooms; guaranteed eyeballs (though hard to read in large rooms)

2)       hang flyers, flyers and more flyers throughout the building, in designated areas with corkboards, near student printers and common areas

3)       provide free food

Even Facebook doesn’t seem to have as much traction for the plethora of events, though it does help student groups more generally speaking to have Fb pages (yet one more thing we in IT or student services cannot control).

As for sharing information from one year to the next, same problem here. They go off and use Google Drive or Dropbox, communicate haphazardly when the leadership changes, and we get confused students seeking help from IT. We do provide a shared drive in our campus NetApp environment, but student orgs always opt for alternatives. It’s the way of the world…

Yours in sympathy,
Doug
—
Doug Edmunds
Assistant Dean for IT & Adjunct Instructor
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dougedmunds
http://twitter.com/doug_edmunds