[teknoids] Law IT org charts/reporting

Starnes, Daniel DStarnes at law.cwsl.edu
Tue Oct 25 12:30:10 EDT 2016

This is an excellent, thought provoking, evaluation.  Thank you for the time you put into it.  I do want to address one point, which I think is exemplifies the nervousness one would feel in this situation.

"As an example, in a properly managed enterprise using enterprise services, an individual sitting at a campus helpdesk should be able to help a law student gain access to TWEN, as easily as a dedicated law school IT professional sitting in a back office within the law school - correct?"

Maybe.  Maybe not.  If you have various departments using a widely diverse set of software, it would be impossible for all of your helpdesk agents to be able to handle any and all calls that come in.  And too many try to work that way.  How many other departments use TWEN?  I'm guessing there aren't many.  You will have to manage the skillset of your agents so that the agent who knows TWEN is the one who gets the call about TWEN.  This is where the "properly managed" part comes in.  The folks at the top of the management chain have to realize that each department does in fact have needs that are unique to that department, and do what is necessary to meet those needs rather than the "one size fits all" approach.

Daniel Starnes
Student Network Systems Manager
California Western School of Law<http://www.cwsl.edu/>
San Diego, CA