[teknoids] 2nd Monitor for Student Laptop users on campus?

Eric McCartney mccartney at nd.edu
Thu Apr 14 14:44:31 EDT 2016

Rich,

We placed three monitors on one of our pods last year.  We bought monitors
that accepted input from VGA, Display Port, and HDMI.  Then, we bought
cables for each and tied them together so all three are available for the
student regardless of computer type.  They have been well received.  There
have been times student have been using the station without making use of
the monitor, but I have been pleased with the usage.  But, like Judy said,
usage isn't tracked as it is with our PCs.

We also have a MediaScape in one of our study rooms.  Our students have
never really made use of it.  Initially, it was in our main lab.  It hardly
ever received use.  We thought moving it to a more private area would help,
but it didn't seem to matter. I think allowing students to use a second
monitor is the way to go.

We also see a lot of students using our lab computer AND their laptops at
the same time.

Eric McCartney

Student Computing Manager

Notre Dame Law School