[teknoids] Guest access wifi at your school

Essary, Larry E essaryl at campbell.edu
Mon Apr 11 16:58:09 EDT 2016

Michael,

Here’s how we have our Guest wifi at Campbell Law School:

1 - Is guest wifi open or authenticated?
authenticated

2 - If authenticated, is it individualized per guest or a shared generic guest password?
generic guest password (we even have business cards for the front desk to hand out to visitors)

3 - Is guest access time-limited (i.e. either by expiring an individual guest or rotating passwords before/after events or on schedule)?
no

4 - If individualized, how to you handle large groups? Self-enrollment?
n/a

5 - Do you have a sponsorship model that requires some sponsoring individual to accept responsibility for the individual or group of guests?
n/a

6 - Anything else you feel is relevant, what works or doesn’t work well at your school, in your opinion.
the guest wifi is limited in several ways to encourage regular users (faculty, staff & students) to register their devices and use our normal wifi network.  Printing for students, being the main one.

Hope this helps.

le

I’m interested to know how your schools handle guest wifi for group events.

At our school, central IT has a guest system where any employee (not student) can create a guest ID for their guest. You provide a name, contact information, department and reason for visit, and select a duration of 1 to 30 days (which begins immediately, so pre-staging is not practical). Guest access is granted by an individual (sponsor) to an individual, and the sponsor accepts some degree of responsibility for their guest’s use of the network. This works great for single visitors or small groups, but is very cumbersome for large groups, like if we were to host a CALI conference. Also the guest network is limited to outbound ports 80 and 443 only, which is an occasional problem, but not usually.

I would appreciate any information you can share on this topic, especially:

1 - Is guest wifi open or authenticated?
2 - If authenticated, is it individualized per guest or a shared generic guest password?
3 - Is guest access time-limited (i.e. either by expiring an individual guest or rotating passwords before/after events or on schedule)?
4 - If individualized, how to you handle large groups? Self-enrollment?
5 - Do you have a sponsorship model that requires some sponsoring individual to accept responsibility for the individual or group of guests?
6 - Anything else you feel is relevant, what works or doesn’t work well at your school, in your opinion.

I look forward to hearing from you all!

Thanks,
Michael
--