[teknoids] CALI Hackathon? 2016 AALL Hackathon?

Elmer Masters emasters at cali.org
Fri Oct 23 15:25:17 EDT 2015

Happy Friday!

There was no hackathingy at CALIcon15. I floated the idea at
http://cca.li/Di and http://cca.li/Dj and it didn't generate much
interest. Since it was within 4 weeks of the conference I just let it
drop. At the conference there was some discussion about hackathons
during John's Future of CALIcon talk. You can catch the video of that
at https://youtu.be/_rstFZEcCNk?t=34m46s.

So what about going forward? CALIcon16 June 16-18, 2016 at Georgia
State College of Law in Atlanta. I'm certainly interested in bringing
more tech into the conference and it's early enough to get some good
planning done. Atlanta is a good place for this since it has an active
civic hacking community and a nascent legal tech community. What we
need from Teknoids is some leadership in this space. If you're
interested in a hackathon at CALIcon16, that's cool. Are you
interested enough to take a leadership role and work with me to
organize it? That would be awesome.

Now's the time to get the wheels rolling on this, so if you're
interested in making it happen, let me know. I think anyone on this
list or who has attended CALIcon would have something to contribute
and could be a leader on this. All it's really going to take is good
organization skills and the ability to stick with this for the next 8
months or so.

Thanks,
Elmer.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Wilhelmina Randtke <randtke at gmail.com> wrote:
> There was a suggestion to do a CALI hackathon this past summer.  Elmer had a
> Slack page here https://slack-files.com/T047T12QF-F04UM3MN2-dce47bedc1 .  I
> wasn't at CALI, but I didn't hear anything, so suspect it didn't happen.
>
> I think Atlanta is a good city for a hackathon.  The one day format tends to
> only work for concretely defined problems to solve.
>
> -Wilhelmina Randtke
>
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Lyonette Louis-Jacques <llou at uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Happy Friday, everyone!  A quick question – from reading Trez Drake’s
>> piece on the AALL Hackathon, I wondered if CALI has had hackathons and I
>> don’t find anything at the CALI website.  Have there been such a thing, but
>> called something different?  And also, will there be a Hackathon at AALL in
>> Chicago this July? Thanks, Lyo.
>>

>> Lyonette Louis-Jacques
>>
>> Foreign and International Law
>>
>> Librarian and Lecturer in Law
>>
>> D’Angelo Law Library
>>
>> University of Chicago Law School
>>
>> Email: llou at uchicago.edu
>>
>> http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/law/
>>
>> http://www.law.uchicago.edu/faculty/louis-jacques
>>
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/lyonette
>>
>> http://twitter.com/lyolouisjacques
>>

>> 'Au milieu de l'hiver,
>>
>> j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été.' /
>>
>> "In the midst of winter I found there was,
>>
>> within me, an invincible summer." - Camus

Director of Technology
emasters at cali.org    773-332-7508