[teknoids] Lexis printers

MOORE, GARY GMOORE at law.sc.edu
Fri Nov 6 07:56:11 EST 2015

E-mail - Gmoore at law.sc.edu

From: Teknoids [mailto:teknoids-bounces at lists.teknoids.net] On Behalf Of Bohl, Phillip C.
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 6:15 PM
To: Teknoids
Subject: Re: [teknoids] Lexis printers

From: Teknoids [mailto:teknoids-bounces at lists.teknoids.net] On Behalf Of Melamut, Steven J
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:10 PM
To: Teknoids <teknoids at lists.teknoids.net<mailto:teknoids at lists.teknoids.net>>

Steve Melamut
Kathrine R. Everett Law Library
University of North Carolina

From: Teknoids [mailto:teknoids-bounces at lists.teknoids.net] On Behalf Of Johnson, Cyndi
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:54 PM
To: 'Teknoids' <teknoids at lists.teknoids.net<mailto:teknoids at lists.teknoids.net>>
Subject: [teknoids] Lexis printers

Howdy fellow 'noids,
After many years of Lexis printing at UNM law, our central Security group decided that opening an IP-to-IP connection from LX/NX to a printer on port 9100 is such a security risk to the UNM network that they simply deleted that firewall rule in August - and didn't even let us know. After weeks of troubleshooting with Lexis, we finally determined what had happened and assumed it was because they had migrated the firewall rules to an edge firewall recently, and they simply missed that rule. Nope. They are insisting that it's such a significant security risk that they will not allow it even with a hardened printer. After pushing back at them, they finally came up with a "solution" that involves them building a vlan just for this service. And they want to charge us $540 to fix what they broke in August...
I have absolutely no intention of paying for this. From what we understand, we are the only law school whose security group feels that this is such a huge risk that they are insisting on jumping through hoops to make it happen. I'd like to conduct just a quick poll to garner support for when I bump this up to the Dean to take to the Provost. Can you please reply to this email with a "yes" if you allow Lexis printing through a firewall rule without a VLAN? Of course, if you'd like to add commentary, that is always welcome.
Thanks!
Cyndi

Cyndi Johnson
Director/Assistant Dean for Information Technology
UNM School of Law