[teknoids] Cobranet anyone? Audio over IP question.

Chapman, Ben ben.chapman at emory.edu
Wed May 20 09:51:34 EDT 2015

Barix makes a line of products for this. I used to use their instreamer devices for podcasting ages ago and was very pleased. http://www.barix.com/ is the web-site. Not cheap; bullet-proof designs.
—
Ben Chapman, JD
Assistant Dean for Information Technology
Emory University School of Law
Phone: 404-727-6948 Cell: 404-313-9544
For help: lawhelp at listserv.cc.emory.edu

From: <Bohl>, Phillip Bohl
Date: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 2:23 AM
To: Teknoids
Subject: [teknoids] Cobranet anyone? Audio over IP question.

Ok, my ignorance is showing…

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with pushing audio around (think building-wide PA system) using cobranet or AVB?

I want to distribute live and recorded audio to three rather large and disparate zones in and around our building.  AND I want to use ethernet (perhaps Cat7a) AND I want to do it on the "cheap."  Nice parameters eh?

7 to ten locations — probably only going to use 4 or 5 at one time immediately — so can scale up over time as needed.

Present plan is to use portable (amplified?) speakers (no built-ins) in the short term that will plug into wall jacks (which would also involve some kind of cobranet type receiver that breaks out to XLR or RCA or something else.  Initially was thinking of HDBaseT stuff but if Cobranet or AVB is better for short term solution, I'm very interested.

All cables home run to a single switch room (not planning to integrate with the building's network — early thinking is that this will be a separate network.

Inputs: one Mic, one MP3 player

Outputs: 4-5 amplified free standing/portable speakers (mono is just fine)

Not really worried about latency but less is better.

Thinking Cat7a b/c it appears to be a good solution for pushing around 4k video should we ever get there.  Cat6 is our building standard.

Thanks,

Phil
Pepperdine Law