[teknoids] Anyone using ExamSoft's multiple choice question bank and assessment tools?

James Callison callison at hamilton.law.ou.edu
Fri Jul 17 15:47:28 EDT 2015

On 7/13/2015 5:35 PM, Elmer Masters wrote:
> This thread is nearly 2 years old, but I thought I'd blow the dust
> off it and see if anyone else has looked at or is using ExamSoft
> tools for anything other than essay finals.

We used it for both a SWAG test (PR) and an essay exam for the first
time this summer. We haven't done anything with the analytics, but we
had students at remote locations (yay, externships), and use of Softest
was required for them.

For various reasons, we didn't put the questions in the exams when we
started with Examsoft, then Examsoft changed the terms and we couldn't.
These pilot projects were driven solely by the remote students, but the
professor who used it for PR likes data analysis, and is interested, at
the very least, in using it in his future classes to refine his teaching.

Of course, half of the on-site students in PR opted to take their exams
on a Scantron sheet (the remote students had no choice), and none of
them opted for the iPad option. I thought that was odd, as the multiple
choice functionality in Softest-M is quite nice...

It's too early to tell if the pilot was successful, but we'll have to
figure it out pretty quick, as it's coming up on time to renew. Right
now, laptop exams don't cost us anything other than time, as the
students pay Examsoft directly for their licenses, but if we go with the
features that make this all work, we'll have to pay something--and that
may be a hard sell under the current (and projected) budget conditions...

James

James P. Callison, MCP+I, MCSE
Systems Administrator
The University of Oklahoma Law Center ITS
callison at www.law.ou.edu
  No hard feelin's, darlin', no regrets
  No tears and no broken hearts
  Call it quits, callin' off all bets