[teknoids] FW: (ExamSoft for formative assessment etc.) Schedule of Upcoming Law Events

Edmunds, Doug edmunds at unc.edu
Tue Jul 14 13:33:46 EDT 2015

Pertinent to the ongoing discussion…part of this refers to the citation Will made earlier. But there’s an upcoming webinar, too.

I commented thusly some months ago, but our administration has remained surprisingly uninterested in the new ABA standard, interpreting it to mean that *some* courses should use formative assessment while others can continue using the traditional final exam model. That’s actually how the standard reads:

Standard 314. ASSESSMENT OF STUDENT LEARNING

A law school shall utilize both formative and summative assessment methods in its curriculum to measure and improve student learning and provide meaningful feedback to students. 23

Interpretation 314-1 Formative assessment methods are measurements at different points during a particular course or at different points over the span of a student’s education that provide meaningful feedback to improve student learning. Summative assessment methods are measurements at the culmination of a particular course or at the culmination of any part of a student’s legal education that measure the degree of student learning.
Interpretation 314-2 A law school need not apply multiple assessment methods in any particular course. Assessment methods are likely to be different from school to school. Law schools are not required by Standard 314 to use any particular assessment method.

My colleagues went on to explain that since our 1st year writing curriculum *does* include a fair amount of formative assessment, without the use of any software or question banks, we needn’t worry about using ExamSoft to address and meet the new standards. I think the establishment position among most faculty (and not just here) is quite remarkably unconcerned with this, honestly. I’m sure there are some progressive thinkers among faculty ranks who see it differently, of course.

Best,
Doug

--
Doug Edmunds