[teknoids] Student video hosting options

Dean, Daniel daniel.dean at ttu.edu
Tue Feb 10 14:57:13 EST 2015

We went with Panopto, a software based recording system, about 2 years ago.  The recording software is site licensed so any faculty, staff or student can use it to record with any computer including iPads and iPhones, and upload to our server if given permissions.  We run our own Panopto server, but hosted options are available.

Panopto includes Drop Box which allows only selected students and faculty to view the videos.   All security is provided by AD integration, which allows us to grant permissions using existing security groups and network login.

We recently upgraded to the newest version of Panopto which now uses the HTML5 format.  Video viewable in any browser without using Silverlight, quicktime etc.  Panopto also has a podcast option.   Works great for just about any use or option you can come up with.   Very flexible.

Daniel T. Dean  MCSE
Unit Manager, Academinc Technology Asset Management
Texas Tech University School of Law
Law Library and Computing