[teknoids] RE: Technology to assist with taking attendance (long)

Essary, Larry E essaryl at campbell.edu
Tue Nov 25 15:48:50 EST 2014

This may be a business opportunity!

You could have a laptop, with a  card reader, sitting by the door.  As the students enter, they swipe their ID cards and their ID numbers get posted to a text file.  Then a grad student/research asst can create a spreadsheet and enter the attendance.

Longer term, someone could create a “smartbox” that would include a built-in card reader, wireless networking and a computer chip.  A small program could take the card swipe data and send it to a spreadsheet or database on a server, that would spit out a report whenever requested.

Another option would be to mount it in the wall next to the door and then it could be wired networking – on the inside of the room, so at least the student had to set foot in the classroom to swipe.

This system would not be foolproof, but our Dean takes the honor system very seriously, so if a student was willing to risk being kicked out of law school to fake attendance, then maybe they don’t need to be in law school.

Just a thought.

Larry Essary
Director of IT - Campbell School of Law
essaryl at campbell.edu