[teknoids] RE: Technology to assist with taking attendance (long)

Seibel, Robert rfs at cwsl.edu
Fri Nov 21 13:56:37 EST 2014

We need to get into the 21st century.  Inexpensive cameras that are trained on the entrance to each classroom can record the students entering and face recognition software will then record attendance automatically.  If the law schools will cooperate and share the cost of the software and if NALP will require photos for all applicants which can be loaded into the software, the system will be simple efficient and probably become a good test case for privacy rights.

An extension of the concept could also monitor and catch students who are surfing the web during class instead of paying attention to the prof.  Perhaps a few pennies of fines for each violation would solve the law school financial crisis.

Happy Friday!

Bob Seibel

California Western School of Law

rfs at cwsl.edu<mailto:rfs at cwsl.edu>