[teknoids] Recommendations to 1Ls on Tablets? Surface?

Jill A. Smith jas515 at law.georgetown.edu
Fri Jun 13 14:17:45 EDT 2014

Susanna, I was inspired to find the series of Facebook entries I wrote as this was going down:

Jill Smith<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq?fref=ufi>  Saturday, March 8 at 7:04am<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq/posts/10152686497244408>
Trying to troubleshoot my FIL's Surface tablet - what fresh hell is this?

Jill Smith<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq?fref=ufi> "You can't do this - you need to change the settings."

"WHERE ARE THE F'ING SETTINGS? Give me my laptop so I can use one machine to fix the other one..."
March 8 at 7:05am<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq/posts/10152686497244408?comment_id=37105304&offset=0&total_comments=13>

Jill Smith<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq?fref=ufi> "This program needs to be updated."

"Oh - yay - so I guess I can't use this program until it updates? That's crap. Oh, and BTW - I've tried to update it five times already."
March 8 at 7:05am<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq/posts/10152686497244408?comment_id=37105309&offset=0&total_comments=13>

Jill Smith<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq?fref=ufi> "Your updates are installed."

"This program needs to be updated."

"THEN WTF WAS UPDATED??!"
March 8 at 7:06am<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq/posts/10152686497244408?comment_id=37105320&offset=0&total_comments=13>

Jill Smith<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq?fref=ufi> HEY - YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE HELPFUL? A PROGRESS BAR TO TELL ME IF THE THING IS REALLY UPDATING. BUT YOU DON'T GIVE ME THAT - YOU GIVE ME RANDOM DOTS FLOATING ACROSS THE SCREEN.
March 8 at 7:08am<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq/posts/10152686497244408?comment_id=37105336&offset=0&total_comments=13>

Alicia P<https://www.facebook.com/ms.a.patrick?fref=ufi>_____ If ever there was a situation that called for all caps, it is this one. I'd wish you luck, Jill, but I think I'll hope you cling to your sanity.
March 8 at 9:49am<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq/posts/10152686497244408?comment_id=37107048&offset=0&total_comments=13>

Jill Smith<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq?fref=ufi> If ever there was a situation that calls for an allcaps descent into Lovecraftian madness, it is the Surface tablet.
March 8 at 9:57am<https://www.facebook.com/jasesq/posts/10152686497244408?comment_id=37107137&offset=0&total_comments=13>

My friend Alicia then nominated me for sainthood.

Jill A. Smith  |  Instructional Technology Librarian
GEORGETOWN LAW  |  jas515 at law.georgetown.edu
111 G. Street NW  |  Washington DC 20001
202.662.9165