[teknoids] Making Classroom recordings available to students

James Callison callison at hamilton.law.ou.edu
Fri Sep 13 10:58:19 EDT 2013

On 9/9/2013 11:55 AM, Crilly, James A wrote:
> How are classroom recordings made available at your schools?

We use a deployed Panopto solution running on our own server. It's
funny, though--we've had the system in place for a couple of years, but
almost no uptake 'til this semester. We have a clinician professor who
teaches "performance" classes, and she records her lectures for the
students to watch before they come to class. We also record her
students' performances, uploading them using Panopto's Unison product so
the students can review their own performances and the other clinicians
can help her critique them.

We've also had to record all of the class sessions for one of our
international LLM students (he somehow got put on a no-fly list, and has
been having trouble getting back into the US); this has led to one of
the professors making all of his lectures available to all of the
students in his class. (This had been strenuously opposed by many
faculty members, as they were adamant in wanting students to be
preparing for the next class rather than reviewing past classes.)

It's a brave new world out there...

James

James P. Callison, MCP+I, MCSE
Network Administrator
The University of Oklahoma Law Center ITS
callison at law.ou.edu
  I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them
  myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter
  evenings.
	-- Phillip Marlowe, "The Big Sleep"