[teknoids] To migrate or not to migrate

Elmer Masters emasters at cali.org
Wed May 8 18:33:38 EDT 2013

Hi Tracey.
If you're thinking future proof, the first question is can the site be
presented by a set of static pages (lots of documents that
don't change much over time) or does the site require a lot of dynamic
data (frequently changing information that is stored in a database,
including user generated content).

For relatively static sites that has been a lot of work done in the
past year on storing text files that are rendered to static HTML files
and served quickly without the need for a complex content management
system. These new systems provide what is probably the best way to
future proof your site. You should consider something like this for a
generally static site.

If your site is dynamic, relying on a database back end to manage a
lot of changing information, then a more robust content management
system is in order. Of course there are a number of CMS's out there
and Drupal is near the top of the open source pile. I know you folks
already have some Drupal experience, so ti wouldn't be too new for
you. I think it would be important to carefully consider what you are
doing though before deciding on Drupal (or anything else).

I use either Drupal or WordPress for web site development depending
upon a few factors. After thinking about the content you are going to
manage, you need to consider user management. Is the site going to
allow visitors to create accounts and do more than comment on things
or fill out simple forms? If you need the ability to register and
manage a growing number of users and allow them to create content on
the iste, I recommend Drupal. If the only a handful of people are
going to be creating content and that content is pretty
straightforward, WordPress may be a better choice.

So, the short answer is yes, look to get off of ColdFusion sooner
rather than later. I'd be more than happy to talk to you about this in
more detail, just give me a call.

FWIW, I don't think Drupal has peaked yet.

Elmer.

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Tracey McCartney <tracey at fairhousing.com> wrote:
> We have a fairly large web site built in Cold Fusion by an employee who is
> long departed, and sometimes it breaks or we need a feature that I'm not
> qualified to add.
>
> If you were in this situation, and you wanted to maybe future-proof the site
> so that it will be easier to run (for you and/or others) going forward, and
> you had the money and time to do it, would you think about migrating it to
> Drupal?
>
> It just seems to me that the Drupal support community is far more active and
> plentiful than CF, and Drupal seems like a pretty stable going concern.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>

> Tracey

Director of Internet Development
emasters at cali.org    773-332-7508