[teknoids] Older firewire miniDV camera on a newer MacBook Pro

James Callison callison at hamilton.law.ou.edu
Thu May 2 12:10:44 EDT 2013

On 4/26/2013 3:18 PM, Elmer Masters wrote:
> Is anyone out there using a Blackmagic or Matrox device for portable
> capture?

We're using (or trying to use) a Blackmagic Design UltraStudio SDI to
capture the HDSDI streams from our big courtroom; it works reasonably
well on a device with built-in USB3, but I've not had any luck getting
it to work with USB3 Expresscards. I don't know if it's the Expresscard
drivers or a slapfight between the card and the UltraStudio, but I just
haven't been able to make them play nicely (although the Expresscard is
using the chipset recommended by Blackmagic Design).

The one issue we do have with the UltraStudio is that we keep having to
tell its driver what the video signal is. I tried setting that as the
default, but we still get a black screen 'til I go into the driver and
set it. That's not exactly the most user-friendly design...

James

James P. Callison, MCP+I, MCSE
Network Administrator
The University of Oklahoma Law Center ITS
callison at www.law.ou.edu
  Three million acres was our boss's domain
  We were knights of the prairie for hire
  Then we fenced up the kingdom into pastures and traps
  With six thousand miles of wire, six thousand miles of wire
	-- Red Steagall, "Six Thousand Miles of Wire"