[teknoids] RE: Exam Software

Pat Guido guido at law.cuny.edu
Wed Jun 5 11:03:45 EDT 2013

CUNY School of Law switched to ExamSoft's SofTest one year ago. I agree with all of Apryl's comments.

I can add that our prior vendor, Software Secure, went out of the exam software business last year and we were encouraged to switch to ExamSoft by Software Secure because of its similarity to their product. There are 2 reasons we went with SofTest. We are about a 75% Mac shop so cross platform was a must and about 44 states use SofTest so it was an easy decision to make.

There is a lot of flexibility in the product such as the ability to allow a declaimer before you can install the product (if my laptop is not reliable I will use bluebook, etc), the ability to assign a password to the exam so that a firm date isn't a requirement (we do a lot of make up exams on non standard dates) and a separate printing utility that has proven to be easy to use by our support staff who print their own exams.

In addition, the multiple choice exams provide a lot of information to faculty such as how each student answered each question. This has led to changes in the answer key and regrading of the MC exam within 5 minutes instead of having support staff do this by hand. There is also something called categories that allows each MC question to be associated with a specific topic in the curriculum. Faculty are very interested in this feature which we will be introducing this coming year.

I highly recommend the product. They keep adding new functionality and offer Webinars and online training to help you get acclimated to using the software.

Pat

Pat Guido
Systems Administrator
CUNY School of Law