[teknoids] Re: Tech Audit for Law Students

Wilhelmina Randtke randtke at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 15:44:22 EDT 2013

What would be more useful centrally is a listing of skills and
competencies.  I think many law libraries have legal research training, and
maybe CALI lessons are part of that, maybe they aren't.  For legal research
training, librarians are more likely to have a set of competencies in mind
and feel comfortable selecting material and moving from scattered lessons
to a certificate program.  So, pretty much everyone in the field is going
to feel that pulling a federal legislative history is something to know.

For technology training, there's no framework to fit lessons into.  No
matter how simple, I've been in a library environment where I was the only
one who knew that thing existed - email folders, the "print screen"
keyboard button for screenshots, OCR through internet search engine or
Acrobat Professional, etc.  But, also, the lawyers failing that
competencies test didn't know about printing to PDF, which is really basic,
so maybe I would skip over it when it's needed.  It's better to list some
competencies and start at the macro level.

It's better to centrally track what skills are needed and are lacking.

-Wilhelmina Randtke