[teknoids] Citation / PDF managers

David Whelan davidpwhelan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 14:44:13 EDT 2013

I'd give a thumbs up for Zotero too.

Two others you might also look at - fee-based CiteStack is a law-focused
citation manager, but not tied to a publisher.
http://www.citestack.com/overview.html  CiteULike is another STEM-oriented
citation tool, like Mendeley/Qiqqa and cloud-based:
http://www.citeulike.org/  It's also unaffiliated, and free.  FWIW, I did a
quick and dirty review of Qiqqa in 2011 soon after it came out; I think it
could be pretty easily manipulated to track useful info about cases, etc. (
http://findinglegalinfo.ofaolain.com/2011/09/22/use-qiqqa-for-quicker-management-of-research-pdfs/
)

But I think you're right that citation management may not stick if the
curriculum doesn't reinforce it.  I guess some students may have something
- liker Evernote or OneNote - that they're already doing "research
management" with, even if it's essentially a personal Pinterest of cases,
journals, etc., they find.

Best, David.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Elmer Masters <emasters at cali.org> wrote:

> And more specifically the wonderfully law-centric fork Multilingual
> Zotero (MLZ) developed and supported by Frank Bennett. It knows about
> Bluebook out of the box! Frank has written a book on using MLZ titled
> "Citations, Out of the Box" and is offering direct email support on
> citation styling to legal research and writing teachers who adopt the
> book. You can find out more about MLZ, the book, and the offer at
> http://cca.li/pb.
>
> Elmer.
>
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM, John Quentin Heywood
> <heywood at wcl.american.edu> wrote:
>

> > Don't forget Zotero....
> >

> --
> Elmer R. Masters
> Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction
> emasters at cali.org    773-332-7508

David Whelan, J.D., M.L.S., C.I.P.

E-mail:  davidpwhelan at gmail.com
Web:  http://www.ofaolain.com | Twitter: