[teknoids] Distance education

Chapman, Ben ben.chapman at emory.edu
Thu Feb 7 09:14:01 EST 2013

Glen and others,

As Elmer suggested, I'm replying to the thread to help build the archive.

I do not have any special knowledge in this area, but I am about halfway
through* an excellent book titled "Managing Technology in Higher
Education", by Bates and Sangrå. You can read the executive summary here:
http://goo.gl/PbWdv and the book is only $25 or so. For folks like me
without an education background, it's got a good summary of the continuum
of distance education efforts, as well as a good discussion of the factors
that help institutions move toward successful implementations of blended
or wholly distance-based approaches. Do not be put off by the title - the
subtitle conveys more of the spirit of the book: "Strategies for
Transforming Teaching and Learning".

Also, if you're interested in higher ed tech blogs, there is a useful
starting list here (apologies to teknoids if this was already circulated
before): http://goo.gl/VnvYw . This is from EdTech magazine. One of the
very useful features of the article is that it includes an OPML file that
you can easily import into your RSS reader - adding all the feeds in one
go.

Also, there is Audrey Watters's post on What Every Techie Should Know
about Education: http://goo.gl/SRTLh , which is useful - and a little
scary.

Best wishes,

Ben