[teknoids] RE: Microfiche Readers

Wondracek, Jennifer wondracekj at law.ufl.edu
Wed Dec 4 16:33:25 EST 2013

We just bought a new Konica Minolta SL1000<http://kmbs.konicaminolta.us/wps/portal/web/home/products/office-systems/scanners/sl1000-microfiche>.  It is both a reader and a scanner, and you must have a computer attached to use it.

We looked at both the SL1000 and the ScanPros.  In the end there were a few reasons that sold us on the SL1000 over the ScanPro:

1.       It connected with USB instead of firewire (That may be changing on the new ScanPro model)

2.       The SL1000 is metal and thus heavy duty enough to take student backpacks knocking into it, etc.

3.       We have a company that will service the SL1000 here instead of having to mail it off if there are issues.

4.       Both machines read: microfiche, microfilm (16 & 35), ultrafiche & opaque cards, all of which we own and part of which our old machine could not read.

a.       Per the website the SL1000 also reads aperture cards, & transparencies as well

b.      I believe both (SL1000 for sure) will also scan in color.  This means that it can be used for things like your old 35 mm camera film, too.

Since it was just installed yesterday, I cannot speak to its longevity, although we are very hopeful that it will live a REALLY long time.

On a side note, I know that others have had good luck with the ScanPros, however, I could not get the manufacturer to call or email me when I requested contact.

Please let me know if you have any questions that I have not answered.

Jennifer L. Wondracek
Head of E-Services & Technology
Lawton Chiles Legal Information Center
Fredric G. Levin College of Law