[teknoids] Older firewire miniDV camera on a newer MacBook Pro

Elmer Masters emasters at cali.org
Fri Apr 26 14:12:04 EDT 2013

Fellow Teknoids,

So, I have an older Canon miniDV video camera with a four pin mini
FireWire port. The camera works just fine when connected to standard
old version FireWire connector (6 pin I believe) on a PC and on a
first gen Mac Mini.I can use it to capture video, read and write the
tape, etc.

My MacBook Pro has one of the newer FireWire 800 ports on it, a
different configuration of plug than the old FW. I want to use the
Canon camera as I can on the older PC so I picked up a cable with the
appropriate ends (fits both the camera and the MBP). I plugged the
camera in and got absolutely nothing. The MBP does not see the camera
and none of the software that should see the camera does so. I've
googled around a bit but only found pleas from folks who seem to be in
the same boat and no answers or solutions.

I am lucky enough to have access to, among other things, the greatest
A/V squad on Earth: Teknoids! So, how about it? Is this doable or is
there something that I'm missing in the way that cable works that just
makes it impossible for the Canon to be recognized by the MacBook Pro?

Thanks,
Elmer.

Director of Internet Development
emasters at cali.org    773-332-7508