[teknoids] Q's re Dropbox/DropSmack

Kerns, Resa J. KernsR at missouri.edu
Wed Apr 17 10:09:22 EDT 2013

Good morning tech-savvy friends~

We've just gotten word from our IT Pro that we are no longer allowed to use Dropbox on university machines, due to the vulnerability described here:  http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/security/dropsmack-using-dropbox-to-steal-files-and-deliver-malware/9332

A couple of questions for those of you in the know~

(1)   Can you avoid the vulnerability by using Dropbox from its website, rather than synchronizing with the desktop application?

(2)   Are some of you using similar products or processes that don't seem to raise the same concerns (for convenient file storage and transfer)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insight. This is an area I'm not very familiar with.

Resa

Resa Kerns
Associate Law Librarian for Emerging Technologies
School of Law Library
573.882.5108
kernsr at missouri.edu<mailto:kernsr at missouri.edu>
http://law.missouri.edu<http://law.missouri.edu/>