[teknoids] Around the blogs: Inexpensive NAS and an LVI2012 roundup

Richard Abbott rabbit at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 14 20:03:53 EST 2012

A tip: look very carefully at the peer-to-peer networking capabilities of these consumer-level NAS devices.

Most all contain functions labeled "download station" or "download machines" which are really just bittorrent clients.  I recently consulted on a situation involving unexpected p2p activity detected on a NAS device.  Nobody at the time realized the device had bittorrent capabilities and so the activity was quickly labeled a "possible intrusion of stored PII".  Legal bills, possible reporting requirements, my consulting fee ... there was nothing cheap about this drive.

So rather than purchase a general purpose NAS device, consider a more customizable device that will let you to totally remove or disable those functions you do not need.

-Richard