[teknoids] Interesting software to look at over the summer: Scrivener

Patrick Wiseman pwiseman at gsu.edu
Thu May 10 17:24:41 EDT 2012

Hi, Ben (et al.):

On your recommendation, I took a look at this. As it happens, I have a
new Debian 64-bit testing installation, and the developers have had
trouble compiling Scrivener in 64 bit. So, I force-installed the
32-bit version, and installed all the ia32 packages so as to be able
to run 32-bit binaries. Unfortunately, I was still missing a bunch of
libraries (gstreamer related). Using ldd to figure out what was
missing, I manually installed all the necessary libraries and files,
and now have what appears to be a fully functional Scrivener. It comes
with an excellent tutorial, itself a Scrivener document, which
demonstrates most of its functionality. It looks pretty amazing, and I
can imagine it being very useful for drafting legal memoranda, briefs,
transactional documents, etc. And writing novels, which is what its
developer apparently wrote it for.

Thanks for the pointer.

(An aside: I only very recently joined teknoids, having some questions
about ebook formats which I may eventually raise here. I really should
have been here a long time ago.)

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman