[teknoids] Apache redirection question

James Callison callison at hamilton.law.ou.edu
Wed May 9 18:40:28 EDT 2012

On 5/9/2012 12:30 PM, Thomas R. Bruce wrote:
> My opinion, not necessarily shared by all LII staffers (hi, Dan) is that
> there is absolutely nothing about Apache that cannot be made worse by
> the addition of virt-hosting, especially in situations like Drupal or
> WordPress where you're already dependent on some redirection to clean up
> URL pathing.

Yeah, my initial testing confirmed that. Fortunately, I tried it on our
staging server instead of our live server. Unfortunately, that means
I'll have to dump my considerably Firefox cache if I have to work on the
staging server's CMS in the near future...

> My second opinion, also not necessarily everybody's, is that before you
> do anything whatsoever with mod_rewrite in any setting where Drupal or
> WordPress are present, ever have been present, or were once looked at
> from a distance by any blood relative or blood relative of the spouse of
> anyone connected with the website, you should rework all the stuff they
> put in .htaccess files into your main httpd.conf.

I'll have to consider that, but our httpd.conf rewrites are all
directing "old" URLs into the shiny new CMS (at least the ones that
aren't redirecting the oldest URLs into the not-quite-as-old URLs which
are then redirected into the slightly-newer URLs that are ultimately
redirected into the CMS), and I think I would have to change my name,
hair color, and country of residence to one without an extradition
treaty if our communications director discovered that I'd blowed the
hell out of her shiny new CMS. It seems to be working well as it is, at
least as far as I can tell. Fortunately, I've been able to wash my hands
of the actual content side, so I get to remain blissfully ignorant of
any problems until one of the content people tells me things have jumped
into the proverbial handbasket that runs alongside the road paved with
good intentions.

We actually own quite a few domains, so maybe it's time to stand up a VM
to do nothing but handle redirections. And phishing scams. You can still
make money on phishing scams, right?

James

James P. Callison, MCP+I, MCSE
Network Administrator/Webmaster
The University of Oklahoma Law Center ITS
callison at www.law.ou.edu
  I ain't got no cash in my pocket, now
  Ain't got my name in Who's Who
  So broke I can't pay attention no more
  I ain't got nothin' but the blues
	-- Asleep at the Wheel, "Ain't Got Nothin' But the Blues"