[teknoids] RE: Portable Printer

Smith, Gregory GSmith at law.umaryland.edu
Thu Jul 5 14:21:34 EDT 2012

FYI

My Namibia clinic group was completely off grid for days at a time but there is no shortage of strong sun in Africa for photovoltaic. I sent this group off with:

1) A netbook with SSD drive for maximum battery life.
2) A cigarette lighter charger that matched the netbook.
3) A Brunton Solaris 62 folding solar panel to power/charge the netbook and several other small devices. http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Solaris-Foldable-Solar-Array/dp/B003WO2478/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1341510871&sr=8-16&keywords=brunton+solar
4) A Voltaic Systems backpack to hold the folding solar panel/netbook/accessories as well as charge cell phones while wearing it. http://www.voltaicsystems.com/offgrid.shtml
5) A cigarette lighter plug splitter with USB outlets for charging the netbook and other devices at the same time.
6) A Coleman LED lantern.
7) Solar battery charger for the lantern.

The prof said that she was never without power when she needed it and could run the netbook 24/7.

Today I would add:
1) A small AC/DC inverter that will run off of the cigarette lighter plug.
2) The new Voltaic Systems V60 Universal Laptop Battery.
3) Perhaps another solar panel since they are linkable.

My Mexico clinic group traveled with a Duracell PowerPack 600 which they charged back at the hotel and then took into the field with them to power equipment. http://www.duracellpower.com/portable-power/power-packs/powerpack-600.aspx . This one was too impractical for the Namibia group to lug around.

But I didn't send a printer out with any group and I don't have a feel for what is on the market.

Hope this helps.

Gregory Smith
Associate Director of Information Technology
University of Maryland
Francis King Carey School of Law