[teknoids] Anyone still using SQL Server?

Tracey McCartney tracey at fairhousing.com
Mon Feb 6 12:33:00 EST 2012

We have a fairly large database of court decisions running on MS Sql
Server 2005, hosted elsewhere.  I recently changed the "casetext" field
to type varchar because I needed to run a query on it that wouldn't work
otherwise, but now TEXTCOPY, a utility that comes with SQL Server, won't
work.  I use TEXTCOPY to insert large text files into the "casetext"
column when there's too much text for me to just paste in using Access.

Is there an updated version of Textcopy that supports varchar fields and
the 'write' function?  In the alternative, I know I should be able to
write a query that updates one record with the text I want in that
column, but I'm running into syntax problems.  I thought the opening and
closing paragraph and single-quote in the query would "escape" all the
stuff in the text file the query might not like, but I was wrong.

Any suggestions you can offer will be received appreciatively.

Thanks,
Tracey McCartney
Tennessee Fair Housing Council