[teknoids] RE: Emeritus Status at Your School

Birch, Paul pbirch at richmond.edu
Tue Dec 18 17:03:18 EST 2012

I suspect a lot of schools are in somewhat similar situations to ours at Richmond.  Even though  the school has been around for nearly 150 years, it wasn't until the 1970s that we grew--and rather suddenly-- to a size where the number of faculty was large enough to transition eventually into a significant and close-in-age population of emeriti. Owing to this and to other factors (retired faculty leaving the area, otherwise choosing not to hang out here much, or dying), I don't believe we have ever had more than two retired faculty members seeking space or support at any given time. And even when we have had two, their levels of involvement varied a lot (one still carrying a teaching load and using an office; the other only occasionally stopping in).  In short, the emeriti situation at Richmond (and I suspect a lot of demographically similar schools) has remained very case-by-case and has not ripened into something that cries out for policy-making. As far as technology support goes, our retired faculty keep their logins and email addresses, and if they ask for some kind of support, we give it.

Paul

Paul Birch
University of Richmond School of Law