[teknoids] Examsoft on Foreign laptops

Marian Dent mdent at pericles.ru
Mon Dec 17 03:29:24 EST 2012

Here is Russia we gave up trying to use US commercial exam software for that
reason, and we had our IT manager write a simple program that just installs
on a student's desktop, times the exam that we hand out on paper, blocks
access to any other programs while the exam software is running, prevents
them from saving to anywhere except their desktop, and encrypts the exam
when it saves.  The drawbacks are we have to install and uninstall it on
each computer before and after the exam, and remove the exam from their
desktops manually. Someone who had some time to explore the program at home
could figure out how to crack it fairly easily, but we are banking on the
fact that our students are basically honest and anyway are probably not
going to try to waste time figuring out how to crack the program during the
exam.  Our newest problem is that it doesn't work on tablets, but so far we
have been lucky because our students with IPads and Android tablets seem to
also have old laptops hanging around that they can bring in for exams.
Marian