[teknoids] Administration of websites

Andrew Plumb-Larrick cap95 at case.edu
Wed Dec 12 13:16:26 EST 2012

Colleagues,

I'm looking for a good sampling of anecdotal information on how law school
websites are administered, especially for their libraries. I would like to
address some of the extant administrative models for a forthcoming textbook
chapter aimed at new law librarians, and want to kickstart a discussion of
what these models are (obviously I won't reveal anything identifiable about
specific institutions' practices in writing).

I've avoided formatting this as a "survey," and in fact I'm interested in
any general anecdotal input about the administration of your library
websites. Some examples of the *kinds *of things I'm interested in include:

Who is responsible for the main Web presence of the law school (or library,
if separate)? e.g. PR/marketing, IT department, etc.  (thinking mainly of
design/info-architecture/strategy) Is there a formal (or informal but
consistent) process for law school departments to request/specify
functionality?

Who technically administers main platforms/CMSs? e.g. central campus
solution, law school IT, library itself, etc.

Assuming a shared CMS-driven website of some sort, how widely distributed
or centralized (or even formalized at all) are developer, designer, content
provider, and editor roles? Are some of these roles centralized (e.g. in
IT) and others distributed across departments? Is anyone outside of the
library editorially (as opposed to technically) involved in what goes up on
a library website? How much, if any, *design *autonomy do departments like
the library exercise? (Or, alternatively phrased, who can put stuff up
online?)

Do your law school departments (the library in particular) use outside
solutions (e.g. libguides, classcaster, outside-hosted blogs, etc.) of
their own for public-facing web content and services, or is their entire
web presence contained within whatever is used as the main website platform
(and/or other centrally-administered tools)? What tools do they use? Why?

Does your library run a site on a *separate *CMS/platform from the rest of
the law school? (I'd also be curious about other "interesting" sub-sites on
different platforms than the main one, even if it isn't the library that
uses them)

Does your library derive all or part of its web presence from a university
library?

Does your library run its own website, entirely?

In general, how autonomous is the library in terms of its Web (and general
online) presence?

Sorry for the long list of questions -- again, I'm really most interested
in hearing what colleagues at other institutions think are the most
interesting challenges/wrinkles. And thank you in advance.

Best,
Andrew

--
C. Andrew Plumb-Larrick