[teknoids] RE: Speaking of 1L orientation...

Wiseman, Kim kwiseman at richmond.edu
Fri Aug 24 09:10:18 EDT 2012

Wow - that is interesting.  Our Mac students have an easier time, overall, getting everything set up vs. the Windows folks.  The main IT folks require that the Windows users have all service packs updated before the computer will register, which can take hours depending on the last time the student took the time to do this.  While we have a .bat script to get the Windows computers connected to our network printers, the Mac students have a few extra steps to get their computers set up.  Mapping to the network drives is about the same amount of steps.

We're seeing about 50/50 OSX vs. Windows computers for the past three years.  In undergrad land, that number is 75/25 Mac vs. PC.  So - my guess is that we will see many more savvy Mac users in the near future.

I'm also with Paul ... forcing someone to have a particular computer in this day/age of technology feels much more backwards than forwards.  I know we try hard (as technologists) to make the technology part of their law school experience to be as smooth as possible, but at the end of the day, they've made the choice to purchase whatever computer they did - choices and ownership.  They'll figure it out.

-----
Kimberly M. Wiseman, ACSP
Computer Services Cooordinator
Law School Library