[teknoids] Computer Lab Furniture

Butler, Jamie jebutler at ucdavis.edu
Tue Oct 4 14:21:34 EDT 2011

I am seeing the exact same thing Gary and Phi described.  I also think it is in part due to the performance of our computers.  Even though we provide good A/V and malware software for their personal machines, they still have tons of problems.  The lab machines are fairly solid and speedy.

We provide 35 workstations for our student population of about 650.  I keep hoping to reduce the number over time, but our usage continues to support keeping the lab around.  We have augmented the physical lab with soft seating and group table space (plenty of power outlets) to accommodate laptop usage.  I suspect there is some social aspect to the computer lab as well.  This space is always full of students gathering, working together, and researching.

Any furniture recommendations?

Jamie Butler, MBA, PMP
Director of Information Technology
UC Davis School of Law