[teknoids] 70" LCDs anyone?

James Callison callison at hamilton.law.ou.edu
Fri Nov 4 08:45:43 EST 2011

On 10/31/2011 2:36 PM, Bohl, Phillip C. wrote:
> Has anyone fooled with these really big TVs for this kind of use?

We tried a Sharp Aquos TV for a project a couple of years ago, and it
was a no-go. The big difference between TVs and "professional displays"
is the range of inputs they can handle; TVs tend to be very limited in
what they can handle, and the Sharp definitely was--for the most part,
if it wasn't an AV format (eg, 480i, 720p, 1080p, etc), it wouldn't show
anything at all. The Samsung 52" LCDs we ended up buying have been
plenty robust, as have the NEC and Mitsubishi professional displays we
use in our classrooms.

The Aquos is now in service as one of our message board displays,
showing a 1024x768 image (stretched to 16x9), and it seems to handle
that just fine.

James

James P. Callison, MCP+I, MCSE
Network Administrator/Webmaster
The University of Oklahoma Law Center ITS
callison at www.law.ou.edu
  It's every kind of crazy I could ever imagine
  A battle raging between my head and my heart
  But if you're gonna have it, all that madness and passion
  Baby, you'll learn, oh, you'll learn
  If you want fire, it'd better be worth the burn
	-- Terri Clark, "If You Want Fire"