[teknoids] eMail in the Cloud or not?

David Dickens david.dickens at pepperdine.edu
Mon Feb 28 12:08:45 EST 2011

We offer Google Apps for folks wanting to use it; however, at the present
moment and considering some of the limitations for folks communicating with
the rest of the University on Exchange only a few technology staff members
have made the transition. The students are the most likely users,
particularly those who have difficulty with Exchange speaking with their
smart phones.

Right now, since we're running both systems, there is no cost savings. There
was some initial interest at high levels of moving folks out of Exchange,
but the calendaring features are just not robust enough for our University's
administrative needs.

As to the legal concerns, IANAL.

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Jeanne Eicks <JEICKS at vermontlaw.edu> wrote:

> Are folks willing to share information about their decision to use public
> closed-based email?  Are you using it for students faculty and staff?  If
> not, is it still a cost savings?  How are you dealing with FERPA and
> privilege and confidentiality issues?  What about code of conduct
> investigations?
>
> We're considering the cloud based email, but we'd like to here the good and
> bad form others who are in the cloud for email.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeanne
> --
>
> Jeanne Eicks
> Director of Technology
> Vermont Law School ('96)
> ph. 802.831.1359
> fx.  802.831.1118

David Dickens, Consulting Technologist and Systems Architect, Pepperdine
University School of Law / 310.506.4047
Think Before You Print <http://www.pepperdine.edu/sustainability/>