[teknoids] RE: Examsoft and Special Accommodations

Mette, Bill Bmette at kentlaw.edu
Mon Dec 5 16:58:46 EST 2011

I can't say that we've run into this exact situation, but I would like to think that our exam policies would pretty much define the answer for us.

Our Assistant Dean for Academic Administration and Student Affairs explicitly distinguishes between "open book" and "open computer" when he contacts faculty soliciting their exam requirements.  In our environment "open computer" also means unrestricted network access.  If this student's exam had been declared "open computer" they would be allowed to access their PDF files regardless of whether the content was on a laptop or a tablet.  If the exam was just "open book" then they almost certainly would not.  I suppose it's possible our Assistant Dean might offer the student a reschedule if he felt there was sufficient and genuine misunderstanding with the faculty member, the student, or both.

-Bill