[teknoids] Consumerization of Video Conferencing

Gary P. Moore Gary.P.Moore at hofstra.edu
Thu Aug 18 13:11:29 EDT 2011

David, Michael

What I recommend to faculty/administration here when they have Skype meetings/conferences/remote classes is that they should at all possible ALWAYS use a wired not wireless connection.  We have seen a noticeable difference in the quality of Skype videoconferences when using a dedicated Ethernet wired connection as opposed to shared wireless.   And I also recommend that faculty test the connections with us ahead of time (if at all possible)

That being said, the average professional H.323 videoconference will always be the most ideal solution. However, as Michael notes, many faculty on remote sites often don't have the luxury of using a professional H323 connection.

David, I was curious.  Since you are proponent of Google + (like me), have you tried the Google Hangouts with one on one or multiple users?  If so, what do you think of it?  That might be an alternate solution.

Gary

Gary Moore, PMP |Assistant Dean for Information Systems| Hofstra Law School
121 Hofstra University, Room 221 |Gary.P.Moore at hofstra.edu |Phone: (516) 463-6067