[teknoids] Mac LION not printing to Windows print server

Nathan DeGruchy ndegruchy at fcsl.edu
Wed Aug 17 10:34:30 EDT 2011

We just re-introduced wireless printing, and I've gone and setup the Macs around here to print.  A couple of caveats to watch out for:

  1.  Username no longer requires any domain prefix: e.g. FCSL\studentname is now just studentname
  2.  Make sure they have the printer drivers installed.  This one is kind of tricky since most users computers don't come with every print driver under the sun.  OS X will happily download them for you — if you're using a local printer.  A network one, however, requires the end user to download them first.  We just put a link up on our FAQ page regarding the printer drivers.  I also downloaded the Disk Image and put it on a flash drive at our help desk.
  3.  Use the FQDN for servers.  For some reason doing lookups and connectivity is much faster using foo.domain.local rather than just 'foo'.

Otherwise, it seems to work like a champ!

Nathan DeGruchy | Webmaster
Florida Coastal School of Law
904.680.7735

"When I make mistakes I use a lot of salt
'Cause salt makes m'steaks taste great"