[teknoids] free apps for law students and faculty

Jerry Goldman jgoldman at oyez.org
Tue Aug 16 11:20:09 EDT 2011

I would like to alert law faculty and students to two *FREE* apps for iOS
and Android OS devices:

*OyezToday* tracks the current business of the U.S. Supreme Court in the
form of abstracts in all cases granted review. We share SCOTUS audio in a
searchable format linked to transcripts. With a simple flip and tap, It is
possible to identify and create clips of segments or turns to share and
repurpose. We also make written opinions available shortly after release.
This means that you needn't be tethered to a computer to read the latest
decisions. We will transcribe and add opinion announcements from the 2010
Term shortly after the Court releases them to the National Archives in
October. The iPad version of this app offers additional features for
note-taking and highlighting. We will retain and share all of the 2010 Term
content as we transition to the 2011 Term on October 3.

*PocketJustice* focuses on the Supreme Court's constitutional jurisprudence
regardless of Term. The free version provides abstracts, voting data,
searchable arguments+transcripts, and opinions in the top 100 most
frequently employed cases found in con law casebooks. The FULL version of
the app covers the entire corpus of 600+ cases we identified through a
survey of major con law casebooks. The FULL versions on iPhone and Android
cost less than two lattes. The iPad version is a few bucks more but offers
more functionality. All income supports the Oyez Project.

To download, simply search for the apps by name in the App Store
(iPhone/iPad) or Android Market.

Free law is a good idea; free apps help.

Jerry Goldman