[teknoids] FW: scanning the torts book

John Mayer jmayer at cali.org
Tue Aug 16 09:53:13 EDT 2011

Multi-year discussion here in the comments on this very topic...

http://www.ericmackonline.com/ica/blogs/emonline.nsf/dx/is-it-legal-to-scan-your-books-to-read-on-a-tablet-pc

There has GOT to be a law review article about this.  I have seen
dozens of articles over the years - most of the legal opinions are
uninformed and NOT from lawyers.  Even the lawyers are rightly
hesitant to give a definitive answer.

Almost everyone I have seen opine on this says that SHARING the
scanned book is copyright infringement (although some argue that it is
fair use in some cases akin to library lending).  The comparison is to
making MP3s out of your personally owned CDs or some such.

John

John

--
John Mayer