[teknoids] FW: scanning the torts book

John Mayer jmayer at cali.org
Tue Aug 16 09:34:16 EDT 2011

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hack-college/how-to-digitize-your-text_b_730879.html

There is a company that purports to do this as a service...

http://www.blueleaf-book-scanning.com/

from the FAQ

In order to use our services, you must agree to our Terms and
Conditions and meet at least one of the following;

    * Ownership of Rights - You are the author, you own the rights to
the copyrighted material, or you have received permission from the
publisher to copy the material.
    * Startup Company or Small Business - For internal and lawful use
of business related material.
    * Non-Profit Organization - You are an NPO or CSO and meet at
least one of the 501c provisions (1-28)
    * Research or Educational Agency - For internal and lawful use
    * Non-Profit Personal Use - You are an individual interested in
our services for personal use

John

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Johnson, Cyndi <johnson at law.unm.edu> wrote:
> From a faculty member…
>
> Any expertise out there?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cyndi
>

> This question just arrived from one of my students.  Anyone have any
> thoughts on this?  I dare say that I don't feel qualified to give any answer
> to his question.  Seems a bit odd, since in the looseleaf, double-sided
> version, all he would have to carry at any given time would be 20-25 sheets
> of paper.
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> I am in your torts section this semester. I have purchased the loose-leaf
> edition of the torts textbook you assigned. I was a bit surprised at the
> heft of the thing, so I was thinking about using an office copier to turn it
> into a PDF. I’ve tried to do a bit of research on the copyright issues
> surrounding this, but it’s a bit unclear. Section 107 of the copyright act
> deems the ‘reproduction’ in part of copyrighted works for educational use,
> but since I would be scanning a book that I have already purchased for
> personal-educational use, whether I am reproducing it is unclear. The
> closest analog I could think of was the spate of cases in the early 2000’s
> against people who ripped CD’s they owned into mp3’s and shared them. But
> the RealNetworks case only ruled on whether it was legal to make use of
> excerpts from DVDs; "the question of whether a consumer has a right to make
> a fair use copy of a DVD she has purchased . . . is not presented on this
> motion and is not addressed by the court." 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 1433, at
> *16 (I got this from a Wikipedia discussion page, so the lexis citation
> might be incorrect).
>

> Since I’m biking to school it would be much easier to bring the book as a
> PDF on my ipad. I have an app that can highlight and make notes, which I
> plan on using anyway. Anyway I thought it would be worth asking, as I would
> prefer to have a digital copy. Obviously I’m creating a lot of trouble for
> myself and you before orientation, but if you could sound off on this over
> the next day or three I would really appreciate it.

John Mayer
Executive Director
565 West Adams
Chicago, IL  60661